A key aspect of environmental management, often enshrined in the governing legislation, is the need to ensure adequate and effective enforcement of the environmental management remedies available. More and more emphasis is being placed on the duty of care for the environment. This pressure is applied through ‘command and control’ and to a lesser extent ‘self regulatory’ mechanisms.
EIMS offers a unique, integrated approach to assist clients in monitoring and recording environmental compliance aspects of their activities. EIMS has a team of qualified and experienced environmental practitioners whose main aim is to guide and advise clients to ensure responsible care of the environment and to reduce our client’s potential environmental liabilities. EIMS offers the following environmental compliance monitoring services (amongst others) to the construction, government, mining, manufacturing and any other industry who may have a direct or indirect influence of their receiving environment:
- Full time or Part time Environmental Control Officers (ECO)/ Environmental Officers (EO);
- Internal and external compliance auditing of environmental permits, licences, authorizations, management plans, legislative requirements and international best practise guidelines:
- Environmental Authorization and associated EMPR Audits;
- Water Use Licence and associated management plan Audits;
- Atmospheric Emissions Licence Audits;
- Waste Management Licence Audits;
- EMPR Performance Assessments;
- Compliance Obligations Audits.
- Reinstatement and rehabilitation programmes; and
- Environmental awareness training.
EIMS has developed a documented, systematic, statistical based compliance monitoring and auditing approach. This ensures accurate and representative reporting to both clients and the regulating authorities and their associated enforcement agencies. Our compliance monitoring experience includes:
- Annual compliance audits of Water Use Licences, Environmental Authorizations and EMPRs at various coal mines within the Mpumalanga Coal Fields.
- Full-time independent ECOs for the construction of the Transnet New Multi Products Pipeline (NMPP) Project between Gauteng and KwaZulu Natal; Eskom Kusile Power Station Project, Mpumalanga; Eskom’s Duvha to Leseding 400kV Transmission line, Limpopo; Solar Photovoltaic (PV) and Wind Energy Facilities in the Northern and Western Cape Province as part of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producers Programme (REIPPP).
- EIMS undertook the annual International Finance Corporation (IFC), including Equator Principles and environmental and social compliance, audits of the Cennergi operated Tsitsikamma Community and Amakhala Emoyeni Wind Farms during construction and operational phases, located in the Eastern Cape Province as well as quarterly IFC, Equator Principles and environmental and social compliance audits for the Eskom Ingula Pumped Storage Scheme in KwaZulu Natal.
- Six-monthly independent compliance audits for Eskom Medupi Power Station construction, Limpopo, RSA.
- Three-yearly legal compliance audits for Eskom Power Delivery Projects, Eskom Real Estate, Eskom Medupi Power Station Construction, Eskom Medupi Power Station Operation and Eskom Group Capital Office.
- Independent external environmental audits of the Block 3 Integrated Water Use Licence (IWUL) for 7 operational sites/ mines for Sasol Mining (Pty) Ltd in Mpumalanga.
- Independent ECO for SANRAL Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project, RSA.