Mining and natural resource extraction and utilisation has for decades provided the backbone to the South African economy. The correct and sustainable utilisation of these natural resources is receiving greater attention and the legislative control on protecting the environment. The environmental legislation in South Africa specifically requires that the potentail impacts on the environment are assessed and rpedcetd prior ro awarding the relevamt Rights/Permits. Further the ongoing management of the environmental footprint and interatcion is legicaltively manged and monitoting throughout the mining cycle, from feasibility right through to closure and rehabilitation.
EIMS has significant experience in carrying out the required processes in order to prepare and submit applications for mining rights, production rights, exploration rights, prospecting rights and mining permits. This includes all the necessary baseline investigations, feasibility assessments, public participation processes, impact assessments, and related permits and authorisations. EIMS has specific experience and expertise in the fledgling on-shore oil and natural gas industry.
The firms experience in the mining industry includes:
- Compilation of the EIA and EMPR for the first ever On-shore Natural Gas Production Right Application for Molopo SA (Pty) Ltd, in Virginia, RSA;
- Compilation of EIA, EMPR, IWUL and associated IWWMP for the proposed Leiden Coal Mine, Mpumalanga;
- Compilation of EIA, and EMPR for the proposed Exxaro Paardeplaats Coal Mine, Mpumalanga;
- Environmental manager for over viewing compilation of EMPR, EIA, and other permitting requirements for Exarro KZN Sands;
- An environmental review and due diligence study to inform the asset valuation for the Canyon Coal Hakhano coal mine project;
- An environmental review and due diligence study for the Anglo Libra project. The proposed transaction included various Anglo Coal assets;
- An Environmental Due Diligence for the Boikarabelo Mine (Resource Generation) including Equator Principles, IFC and World Bank EHS guidelines audit on behalf of the project funding parties;
- EMPR review and consolidation, and enviro-legal gap analysis for Mogale Gold;
- Preparation of an Environmental Management Programme Report (EMPR) and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the proposed Loopspruit open cast coal mine, Mpumalanga, RSA;
- Biophysical EIA/EMP to tie into RCMP for the relocation of a village for proposed new tailings dam at Tiping Village and Biophysical EIA/EMP for CMP for the West Valley Tailings Dam expansion of Storm Mountain Diamonds Kao Diamond Mine in Lesotho;
- An Environmental Impact Assessment and Integrated Water Use Licence for the proposed new processing facility (Wash Plant) at the existing Mbuyelo Manungu Coal Mine located near Delmas in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa;
- EMPR for a Gold mine and associated developments (including the tailing dams) in Schweizer Reinecke, North West, RSA;
- EMPR for a new underground shaft and associated building and waste rock disposal site for Lonmin Western Platinum, North West, RSA;
- Application for Environmental Authorisation for the Prospecting Rights Application for Black Mountain Mining for Ferrous, Base and Precious Metals near Aggeneys in the Northern Cape;
- Mining Permit applications and associated Environmental Management Plans (EMP) for numerous borrow pits for the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project, Gauteng, RSA.